Being Poor

I write when I feel I have to get something out. Or when I feel I've pondered something for a long time. I rarely lately write for the pure passion of writing and that's kind of sad. I wish I could take more time to actually do it.

Well, there is time, there's always time, it's just a matter of priorities and choices really, two of the skills that sometimes I wonder whether or not I will ever acquire. Because how do you? How do you become an expert decision maker? By experience and by making the wrong ones is the easy answer, by making uncomfortable ones is an extension and by never abstaining from making one is the ultimate component. Honestly, I wasn't even going to write about decision making, but as decisions are what have led me to the point I am and what I was really going to write about, it serves as a good starting point.

Being poor is expensive.

Never have I understood that phrase until I've actually lived it. It's more expensive not to afford things straight away. You heard me. It's expensive as fuck being poor, which means that you can never get out of the evil spiral where your choices, or accidents, or other people's choices, have put you.

Being poor is expensive.

Suck on it for just a little bit. What does it really mean? I awoke to discover the truth of this phrase when I was counting cents to afford the ticket for the bus I was about to take to one of my jobs. I knew that the number of times I would have to take the bus would end up being cheaper if only I could afford the 10-trip card, but at that time I couldn't. I would have saved almost €15 by being able to afford that ticket, instead of buying one-ways all the time. But I couldn't. The breakdown of the situation and what ultimately led to my experience was a near Catch-22.

I had to get to work at a certain time so I could not afford to miss the bus. I had enough for the roundtrip, but I wasn't going to earn enough to save and eventually afford the 10-trip card. For economical reasons the smartest play would've been to stay home and save up for the 10-trip card, but then I wouldn't have any money to save to begin with. See where this is leading? Always by not affording the offer does your money go down the drain, which could be seen as a punishment of the poor, or as a benefit for those who work.

Now, don't get me wrong, work is work and the one that does it should be paid and prized, and I don't think any society can prosper where no one is working. But is the solution really to constantly increase the gaps?

And it got me thinking about, how many situations are similar? The scary conclusion is, a lot.

I'm currently working, I'm currently happy and able to afford the 10-trip, but I've had a truly humbling lesson and I won't look at money the same way ever again.

Don't be a stranger! Loves

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

"Äntligen vardag!" - Petter Stordalen

Ögonblicken som stöpt mig. (del 3)