Acting Differences

I know I'm probably bound to grind someone's gears, but so be it because I decided to check out The Godfather Part 2 over the weekend, which has most certainly been a long time coming. And can I just say, wow, what a movie.

The acting, the story, the shots, the details, the production. Bravo, bravo, bravo. But of course, everybody already knows that. If there was just one little flaw that I could be such a devil's advocate as to point out was the character of Hyman Roth, well, not so much the character, but the fact that I didn't believe a single thing coming out of the person's mouth.

I couldn't put my finger on what it was, there was just something so artificial about the delivery that made it feel like it wasn't "in tone" with the film. Even though "bad guys" are bad, you're supposed to have some sort of empathy with them, but for me, it was the only character that I couldn't connect to.

And then I looked at the credits. Lee Strasberg.

I don't know, maybe something in me just does not compute with the way him and disciples of his method worked and works and I know I'm certainly going against the Academy for nominating him here for Best Supporting Actor, which coincidentally DeNiro snagged for the same movie, but for me he just wasn't good in this movie. Well, good or bad, I can't say, and it doesn't matter, but it at least wasn't believable. This movie is packed with true forces in acting and acting styles, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, the late John Cazale and not to forget Diane Keaton whose delivery of "It was an abortion!" is outstandingly chilling.

I missed warmth in the character, I missed love from the actor to the character, I missed truth, I missed "play" and of course it makes you think, which you should do with every movie, "how would I do that scene?".

Another sad realization is that movies like this can't be made now a days. The tempo's too slow for an audience of today, and especially younger generations' than mine short attention span would probably be in 50 million places. But the beauty of this story is that you can't tell it in another tempo, the story itself breathes this rhythm.

Now, on to writing and my music production, currently working on a song that I'd love to finish before we go to Sweden.

Don't be a stranger! Loves

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

"Äntligen vardag!" - Petter Stordalen

Ögonblicken som stöpt mig. (del 3)